Frequently Asked Questions
- What's in the background check?
- What's in the optional resume verification?
- Why should my organization add a background check to our endorsement process?
- How do candidates promote the results of their background check?
- Why do employers conduct background checks?
- Why doesn't the press just unveil this info?
- Why is it better for the candidates to do it through your org?
- Do you provide an export format for your results?
- Is your free offer good for Primary Candidates and Incumbents?
- How long does it take to complete my verification?
- How do I get started?
- How do you know I'm a candidate for public office?
- What information do I need to supply to complete my verification?
- Is there is private view of the information?
- Is there dispute resolution?
- What is the relationship between CandidateVerification and Talentwise?
- How can I support your mission at CandidateVerification?
Our Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) approved background checks are self-authorized, voluntary and limited in scope to a Multi-State Instant Criminal Check, National Sex Offender Registry, Criminal County Search (10-Year Address History), Criminal Federal Search (10-Year Address History), Civil Federal Search (10-Year Address History), Civil County Search (10-Year Address History). Finally, we offer candidates a safe forum from which to disclose prior criminal convictions or other adverse information.
3. What's in the optional resume verification?
1. Education, 2. Employment, 3. Professional Credentials, and 4. Military Service Records (e.g. Medals, Tours of Duty), i.e. DD214/SF180.
4. Why should my organization add a background check to our endorsement process?
Endorsement Insurance. By adopting the best practices of governments and business human resource professionals, our program helps protect your brand against misrepresentation and potentially unforeseen disclosures about a candidate.
5. How do candidates promote the results of their background check?
- Create a redirect page to the background verification report on your homepage
- Share on Facebook
- Link your report to online voters guides like Ballotpedia;http://ballotpedia.org/CandidateVerification
- Include report in your fundraising appeal to your supporters, providing a copy of your background check to the local media/endorsement groups, challenge your opponent to be equally transparent.
6. Why do employers conduct background checks?
A $2 billion year industry, employers use background checks as part of their due diligence and to learn of any red flags associated with a prospective employee. According to a 2012 study conducted by Accu-Screen, Inc., ADP, and The Society of Human Resource Managers, 78% of resumes are misleading, 53% of resumes and job applications contain falsifications, 33% of resumes have inaccurate job descriptions and 21% of resumes state fraudulent degrees on their resume:http://www.statisticbrain.com/resume-falsification-statistics.
7. Why doesn't the press just unveil this information?
The press can only cover so many races and even then, their ability to conduct in-depth research without the candidates' permission is costly and often incomplete.
8. Why is it better for the candidates to do it through your .org?
We are independent, have no stake in the outcome, and are 100% accurate (because it is done by the candidate and released with their permission).
9. Do you provide an export format for your results?
Not initially. Ultimately, we aim to develop a secure API to share with media organizations and other interested constituents.
10. Is your Free offer good for Primary candidates and incumbents?
Yes, it is for any candidate running for elective office in the United States.
11. How long does it take to complete my verification?
The process typically takes 3-5 days.
12. How do I get started?
Because every candidate's resume is different and thus the amount of information submitted for verification varies, so does the cost (average is $200). CandidateVerification monitors all submissions, once we have verified the submission, we follow up directly with the candidate.
13. How do you know I'm a candidate for public office?
We verify every submission through official candidate filing records, fundraising records, and campaign websites.
14. What information do I need to supply to complete my verification?
In addition to the resume items you submit for verification, you will be asked to supply your social security number and date of birth to a secure site. These unique identifiers are the only way the employment screening company can accurately match your record. There is no credit check involved.
15. Is there is private view of the information?
Yes, prior to publication, candidates receive a copy of the results and authorize release.
16. Is there dispute resolution?
Yes, there is a dispute resolution process and any information deemed incorrect will be reviewed and corrected, as necessary. This process usually takes another week to complete.
17. What is the relationship between CandidateVerification and Talentwise?
Talentwise, the 5th largest background screening company in the U.S., supplies CandidateVerification with industry leading background screening services.
18. How can I support your mission at CandidateVerification?
Please send your contribution to CandidateVerification, 3211 Evergreen Point Road, Medina, WA. 98039. Our EIN is: 46-2091900, or donate online at https://candidateverification.nationbuilder.com/donate1